Sunday 27 July 2014

Nars Sheer Glow Foundation

REALLY LONG REVIEW ALERT!




Oh, NARS Sheer Glow. What am I to do with you? I have such mixed feelings about this foundation; it’s like a boyfriend you know is no good for you, but you stick with him because he’s cool and popular, and just that little bit edgy. You think you can change him, but you know deep down you can’t. Similar is my experience with NARS Sheer Glow.

You know Zoella, right? Me too. Not personally, of course, but I occasionally watch her YouTube channel. Well, one day I happened upon her “Everyday Makeup Routine” video, where she used NARS Sheer Glow. I thought her skin looked amazing, so I did my research on the brand, looked at a few other reviews of this foundation (which were almost universally positive, except for Wayne Goss, who describes many of the same problems I had with it).


Anyway, I decided to go get a sample and try it out for myself. On the same day, I bought Guerlain’s Lingerie De Peau (review to follow shortly), so I was using that on a daily basis, and thus didn’t get the chance to try NARS Sheet Glow properly. Alas, Lingerie De Peau stopped working for my skin after a few weeks, so I decided to trial Sheer Glow properly.
I was matched with the colour “Deauville”, which is “light with a mixture of yellow and pink tones”, but I found it very yellow. 

Upon first try, it was lovely – great, light consistency, no scent (a winner for me and my anti-social skin) and the colour match was pretty good. It dries pretty quickly, so you have to work fast (not a bad thing, ‘cause I bloody hate waiting ages for a foundation to dry!). I applied it over my moisturiser and set off for work. Happy days…

…for a few hours, until it broke up, looked patchy, and slid of my rancid, greasy face. I tried not to judge it too harshly, as we’re currently in the midst of a heatwave, so I decided to try it again the next day with a primer. And it worked amazingly! Didn’t have great staying power again, as it was blisteringly hot and gross out, but that’s to be expected. I put it on at 7:30am, and by 1:30pm it still looks good. By 5pm, it’s still there, but starting to fade. That’s still a good 8 hours wear, so I’m happy with its performance.

I used it with ELF’s colour correcting primer and it worked perfectly. It doesn’t have a scent, which is great, and it doesn’t have an SPF, which I love – this means it’s great for a night out because it has no titanium dioxide, which is the ingredient in SPF that causes a white, ghostly face in pictures (flashback). I prefer to add my own SPF via moisturiser, so this is a big winner for me.

I caved and bought a bottle on the Friday and, interestingly, the same sales assistant (who was a delight, by the way – no sarcasm), matched me with the colour Mont Blanc, which is for pink undertones. I’m not sure how I feel about the shade match, so this review may be updated in a few days (or even in a few weeks when the weather is back to normal, and I can give an accurate judgement).

Colour: Deauville/Mont Blanc. Loads of shades available - try the Temptalia foundation matrix or Findation if you’re buying online, both tools are very helpful and pretty accurate at matching you with a colour.

Consistency: Although marketed as a dry-skin foundation, it has a pretty dry consistency and is therefore not very moisturising, so be careful as it’s reportedly a bit of a bastard for clinging to dry patches.

Sensitive Skin Suitability: Great so far, very gentle on my skin. 5/5

Price: £31.50 from John Lewis

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment