Tuesday 12 March 2013

Mac Studio Sculpt SPF15 Foundation



I’m a bit on the fence about this one. When I first went to get a sample at MAC in Cardiff, I was given NW25 which was way too dark for my skin, so I bought NW20 instead. However, this still looks a little too orange for my liking, especially in broad daylight. I’m not sure if it’s just too dark a shade, or whether I should be wearing NC instead. Either way, it’s not a good match.

No worries though, I’ll still review it.
I like its texture – it’s quite thick and gel-like, so it’s not runny, making it very easy to apply. It kinda reminds me of my old favourite – the Rimmel 15 Hour stuff I used to buy, which they no longer make (boo!). It doesn’t smell particularly nice, which could be a plus for some people who dislike lingering smells (I’m not one of these – FYI, MaxFactor Ageless Elixir smells amaaaaaazing). It’s very buildable, but can look quite cakey if you put on a few layers (for day-to-day wear I apply one layer using my fingers and a few extra blobs on any blemishes and for night I wear two layers); so be careful if you want to avoid the full-on-makeup-face look. I also like that it’s SPF15.

The overall finish is a bit "meh" - not too matte and not too satiny, but it looks 2D, like I'm wearing a mask instead of my own skin. My other qualms are the price (although you do get 40ml, which is more than the average 30ml you get with foundations); the colour (although this may change once I get a better match); the staying power (it slid off halfway through a night out); and the fact that it does actually sting a little around the eyes at first if I apply too much.

Other than those, it’s a generally OK foundation. I think I’ll try and get re-matched to find my perfect shade, and perhaps keep the NW20 for summer/holidays and nights out (camera flash can make me look way pale), but I don't think I'd use it every day.

Consistency: Thick, gel-like.

Sensitive Skin Suitability: 3.5/5


Staying power: 5 hours without primer


Price£24 for 40ml


Overall Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment